Hands Helping Children
“The mission of FOCUS is to utilize our time, talents, and donations to support the growth and development of the children and youth of the Biggs, Gridley, Live Oak, and Richvale communities through increasing literacy, improving their physical well-being, providing positive opportunities to interact with society and each other, and giving them access to unique enrichment opportunities.”
FOCUS is dedicated to promoting literacy and intellectual well-being for every child within our local communities of Biggs, Gridley, Live Oak and Richvale. Since all of the schools in these communities are classified as Title I (i.e., schools located in areas with a high concentration of low-income families) FOCUS has stepped-up to annually give books to the children in these schools. Giving a child a book of his/her own plants a seed for literacy and encourages a lifelong joy of reading. The 2018-19 school year will kick-off FOCUS' 15th Annual Book Give-Away. Books will be organized and delivered by experienced and fully-credentialed teachers who are also FOCUS members.
Currently, each year FOCUS delivers a free book to half of the approximately 1600 students in grades K-8 in the area schools. (A total of fourteen schools in Biggs, Gridley, Live Oak, and Richvale.) The Special Needs Class at Sycamore Middle School and the Adult Special Education School in Gridley receive free books every year.
Each year FOCUS spends roughly $3,000+ purchasing books to maintain and supplement those books currently in stock. These books are painstakingly selected for quality and appropriateness by a FOCUS member who is a credentialed teacher with 30 years of teaching experience. A concerted effort is made to select Caldecott, Newberry, and other award-winning books as well as classic children's favorites. This ensures that the children receive quality books that are appropriate for their age, abilities, and interests, and that every book meets California curriculum standards.
Focus would like to say a special thank you to the Zappettini Family for their generous grant to Focus for our Children's Literacy program.
"There are so many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jacqueline Kennedy
Focus also donates to:
- Teck Trek - Two full scholarships are given for Teck Trek Science and Math Camp in Davis which is open by application to seventh grade girls who excel in STEM subjectes from Gridley, Live Oak, Biggs and Manzanita. We have done this in conjunction with the American Association of University Women.
- Live Oak and Gridley Parks and Recreation for swim lessons for children.
- Mi Casa in Gridley for school supplies and educatioal activities
- Biggs Elementary Chess Club
- Biggs Home Town Celebration and Fireworks
- Gridley Chamber of Commerce for Red Suspenders Day Parade
- Little Hats and Big Hearts making hats for premature babies
- Gridley, Biggs and Live Oak High School Sober Grad Night
- Gridley Friends of the Library to provide childrens' books especially in Spanish
- Live Oak High School Booster Club
- The Big Harvest, Butte County Fair Association
- Gridley Rugby Team
- Three Area Food Closets: Grace Lutheran Food Closet, Sacred Heart Food Closet, and the First Presbyterian Food Closet
- St. Vincent DePaul for toys for Christmas for children
- Gridley Moose Lodge to prvide free Thanksgiving dinners to local families
- Gridley High School Soccer Team
- House Fire Victims
- AND with your help, theree will be many more donations to come this year.